2008; The Nomad Story Starts In Australia
“The bags that lasted us the longest were always canvas.”
This is what happens when you cross an engineer with a craftswoman. They always go back to the best material for the job.
Dean Hawes and Marnie Statkus are two well-travelled Aussies with a love for designing adaptable travel bags & accessories that function well beyond the last trip.
After years on the road Dean and Marnie dreamed of finding the ‘perfect bag’, a good-looking, durable bag that could be used in the office, the bike path, around the globe, and back again.
From this dream, Nomad Essentials™ canvas bags and accessories were created.
“I’m going around the world, wanna come?”
Or that’s how Dean tells the story about how he chatted up Marnie.
Luckily for him Marnie was a seasoned traveller who thought nothing of blizzards, biking down vertical cliffs, and Bali Belly, and agreed to get to know him better while driving around New Zealand’s South Island in an old van.
While continuing to travel together around much of Asia and the Pacific, Marnie and Dean decided to change their lifestyle and to go where their hearts are. In 2008 they created Nomad Essentials™ to celebrate their passion for great design, exploring the unknown, and a shared love of the open road.
Our Quality Guarantee
- We only use the highest quality 8, 12 & 16 Ounce Canvas 100% Cotton Canvas.
- All our zippers are YKK. The #1 quality zipper on the planet.
- All plastic buckles and retainers are Acetal, an incredibly strong thermoplastic also used to make car bumper bars.
- All our products are stitched using high density nylon thread.
- All our products are guaranteed 100% Vegan Friendly
- Canvas has natural semi-waterproofing properties in light moisture conditions.
- We also custom treat our canvas with an environmentally friendly compound which makes textiles hydrophobic.
- If you need more weather protection or a re-treatment we recommend using NIKWAX or similar products. Specifically their ‘Cotton Proof’ for a wash-in solution, or their ‘TX-Direct’ for a spray on solution.
- Be sure to test any product in an inconspicuous area on the back of your bag to check for undesirable changes
- All our canvas products are washable.
- Add a dash of mild detergent to some cold water and soak for a 1 to 2 hours.
- Avoid heavy chemical detergents.
- Rinse in cold water.
- Air dry in the shade
Who Is Nomad Essentials?
Its Marnie & Dean.
An extraordinary couple from Melbourne, Australia.
They are the multi talented designers, makers and general swiss army knives of the canvas bag world.
Everything you see before you sprouted from their imagination & relationship with the great outdoors, festivals, travelling and each other.
“Canvas is an extremely durable plain-woven fabric used for making sails, tents, marquees, backpacks, and other items for which sturdiness is required.
Modern canvas is usually made of cotton or linen, although historically it was made from hemp. It differs from other heavy cotton fabrics, such as denim, in being plain weave rather than twill weave.”
But it’s really more than just another material.
We grew up in the hills of Melbourne where scouts was a weekly event and being outdoors was part of our everyday.
We watched as the modern plastics took over the outdoor industry and canvas took a back seat to bling bling colours and shiny buckles.
But….. we still have my first canvas backpacks, soft after years in the weather, faded like it’s seen a thousand sunsets. It still breathes and moves like a best friend.
So we started making bags for ourselves, we thought about what had been missing from our travel gear.
What did we want from our materials that plastics just can’t do?
That’s why we make canvas bags, because they are your bag, individual, breathing, alive and getting better with every adventure.
Whats With The Orange?
Also, if you have ever had a bag with dark lining material you know how frustrating it is to find anything inside?
What Happens If Something Breaks?
We want to be that company who always goes the extra mile, the one you remember because there is no problems, just solutions that make your life better!
Shoot us a message on our Warranty & Returns page and we’ll have you back on the road in no time!
Where's The Fancy Leather Tassels?
Want to find out more?
Hit us up on social media or
shoot us a message on our
Follow On Social